Website builders are a perfect solution for small businesses and individuals to start a website without hiring a web developer. It is also the fastest way of building websites. However, finding the best website builder can be tricky if you are a beginner. With so many similar services available nowadays, it’s not an easy task to choose the one that will solve your needs.
Many platforms provide drag & drop tools that make creating a website simple and straightforward. However, all website platforms are not equal. Some are more flexible than others while some are more reliable.
Generally, website builders are best for musicians, writers, bloggers, artists, freelancers, photographers, wedding planners, and so on. There are many different website builders available on the market now. But how do you know which is the best website builder for you? So, we will help you choose the best website builder by going over the pros and cons of the most popular platforms.
What to Look for When Choosing a Website Builder
Before going for the best website builder, at first, you should write down what you want to do with your website. What features would you like to see on your website? For instance, you can write down things like; photo gallery, online store, blog, contact form, slider, reservation system, etc. If you don’t know what you want then check out other websites for inspiration.
Almost all website builders offer a drag & drop user interface to build your website. To test drive before you make a final decision you can take advantage of the trial accounts. After that, you need to think about your growing options. Do you need a blog section? Are you going to post regularly? Would you be selling different products in the future?
You have to make sure that the website builder you are using is capable of handling your needs. Let’s take a look at some of the best website builder platforms to make your website.
10 Best Website Builders to Create Your Own Website
WordPress is an open source and free website builder. This means you have maximum control over your website compared to other builders. There are two kinds of WordPress available and they are WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.org is the world’s most popular website building platform. Almost 33% of all websites on the internet are built by WordPress.
- WordPress gives you complete control on every part of your website.
- It can be used to build any kind of websites such as community forums, eCommerce store, a membership website, a social network, and more.
- You can choose from thousands of pre-made WordPress themes for your design.
- It has amazing drag & drop page builder such as Divi and Beaver which allows you to easily create your own page layouts.
- For the paid user, WordPress has a chat-with-us form and a representative connected within three minutes. It is more than helpful and ready to fix our problem.
- You will get access to more than 50,000 free WordPress plugins.
- It can be used to create multilingual websites.
- It is not the best option for complete beginners because it needs some technical skills.
- You will have to manage your own website.
- Not all the theme can be used to drag & drop.
- You will have to keep up with plugin updates, WordPress updates, and create backups.
- You are not allowed to add PayPal buttons.
WordPress is absolutely free but will need a domain name and web hosting which might cost you $14.99/year and 7.99/month respectively.
Wix is a popular cloud-based website builder. It is easy to use and it’s combined with a powerful set of features to build your website easily.
- You will not have to pay for hosting as Wix is a fully hosted platform.
- You will get access to thousands of templates to choose for your website’s design.
- With their intuitive drag & drop site builder, each template is fully editable.
- Dozens of free and paid apps that you can install on your website.
- With limited bandwidth and storage, Wiz offers a free plan.
- You will get free SSL with all Wix plans. You just only have to turn it on for your website.
- Free domain plans will show Wix branded ads on your website. You will need to upgrade to unlimited plan to remove those ads.
- If you want to move your website from Wix then you will find it quite complicated to do so.
- No live chat and only 24/7 phone support.
- Theirs connect domain plan only lets you connect a custom domain name, so you will still need to buy a domain name.
With a Wix branded sub-domain they offer a limited free plan. You can connect a domain for $9.16/month, their combo plan starts at $14.95/month with a free domain name, and the eCommerce plan costs $26.25/month.
BigCommerce is one of the best website builder platforms to build an online store. BigCommerce is the platform for you if you are thinking to build an online store.
- It is a fully hosted eCommerce solution so you don’t have to worry about updates, security, and speed.
- They handle the server and technical side for you.
- It has a native integration with WordPress which allows you to leverage the flexibility of WordPress.
- It integrates with all popular payment gateways including Apple pay, PayPal, Stripe, etc.
- Their dashboard lets you see the metrics to help you grow your business.
- It has many feature built-in to handle conversion rate optimization.
- You will find BigCommerce pricing a bit higher if you are just starting out.
- Migrating away from BigCommerce is very difficult.
Their basic plan starts at $29.95/month and has all the necessary features. For advanced features, you can upgrade to their plus plan and pro plan which costs $79.95/month and $249.95/month respectively
Shopify is specially designed for eCommerce stores and online stores. It powers more than 800,000 businesses.
- You don’t have to worry about installing updates, managing software, or keeping backups as Shopify does all that for you.
- It has integrated payment solutions called Shopify payments. You can also add third-party payment gateways.
- It comes with full inventory management, powerful stats, unlimited products, easy marketing solutions, and more.
- Shopify makes it super easy to create eCommerce with its drag & drop interface.
- You can integrate Shopify into WordPress too.
- You can take advantage of Shopify’s shipping, inventory, marketing, and stat management tools.
- You will find its price a bit higher than some other website builders if you are just starting out.
- It is very difficult to move your website away from Shopify.
Its basic plan will cost you $29/month. The two other advanced plan will cost you $79/month and $299/month respectively. They also offer a lite plan for $9/month which allows you to add a buy button on any website.
Weebly is an easy to use website builder with numerous great designs. A beautifully crafted page builder allows you to edit your website without any coding knowledge.
- As it is a fully hosted platform so you don’t need to install and manage any software.
- It comes with tons of website designs to use as a starting part for your website.
- Weebly also comes with built-in support for eCommerce and it allows you to create an online store.
- Every Weebly site comes with built-in features like photo galleries, sliders, contact forms, and more.
- WIth live page editor, you can edit all the gorgeous designs.
- You are locked to the features they offer as it is a fully hosted platform.
- It charges 3% transaction fees on every purchase made through your eCommerce site.
- You can not hire a web developer to add new functionality or feature to your website.
There paid plan costs $8/month. Their pro plan and business plan costs $12/month and $25/month and you can get rid of transaction fees they charge after a sell if you use the business plan package.
Squarespace is known for its great designs and ease of use. It is a fully hosted website builder.
- It comes with enterprise-grade infrastructure for hosting your website.
- This is a secure and robust platform.
- It offers tons of website designs to get started and they are fully editable.
- It allows you to use multiple templates for the same website.
- You can drag & drop items on pages to create your own layouts in minutes.
- With its eCommerce plan, you can add an online store to your website.
- It offers limited integrations with third-party service and this can be a hurdle in growing your business.
- They only allow PayPal, Stripe, Apple pay as payment gateways and nothing else.
Their websites start from $12/month and $18/month. Squarespace online stores start from $26/month and $40/month. You can quickly build a website pretty easily with Squarespace.
SiteBuilder is the best “Cheap” website builder that lets you create your own website within a matter of few minutes.
- In SiteBuilder, there are no restrictions for maximum storage or bandwidth.
- You will have 1200+ template options to choose from.
- You can build a fully-functioning online store and each template is easy to customize.
- It offers a free domain name for the first year without forcing any ads.
- Live chat option available and they respond within a few seconds.
- Their renewal prices are double than introductory price.
- Emails cost extra money.
Their pro plan costs $3.84/month. Other two plans are premium and eCommerce and they cost $5.99/month and $9.22/month respectively.
BoldGrid is that website builder which is built on top of WordPress. It is available as a fully hosted website builder suite.
- You get full advantage of WordPress with customized user experience.
- It has a drag & drop customizer to customize the available designs.
- You can change colors, fonts, widgets, navigation menus with ease.
- It creates a website for you with a single click.
- With the WYSIWYG page editor, you can edit all your pages.
- You can easily create a storefront as all BoldGrid themes are ready for WooCommerce.
- You will need a self-hosted WordPress.org website because BoldGrid runs on top of WordPress.
- There are no drag & drop eCommerce tools available
- Not an all-in-one turnkey solution like other website builders.
If you have a WordPress hosting and a domain name then you can download BoldGrid basic plugin and it is free to download. BoldGrid would be perfect for you if you want to use WordPress but with the ease of drag & drop website builders.
9. 1&1 IONOS Website Builder
Ionos website builder is a premium website builder specially designed for individuals, starter websites, and small businesses.
- This website builder comes with hundreds of professionally designed templates.
- All templates are mobile-friendly and it will look good on all devices.
- It offers a free domain name with each plan.
- Their support is wonderful and 24/7.
- You can tweak the templates as much as you want with the user-friendly interface.
- You can’t add any third-party extensions.
- Online store builder and the website builder is different, so you need to sign up for their online store builder if you want to create an online store.
- You can’t integrate anything to your website for new features.
They are offering $1 for six months on all their plans. Their essential, business and pro plan costs $7/month, $10/month, and $20/month respectively.
Ucraft offers an easy and user-friendly website builder for blogs and businesses. They can add a shopping cart and start selling products.
- Ucraft comes with a drag & drop page builder.
- You will have dozens of templates to choose for your website.
- All the website designs are completely mobile-friendly.
- You can add your custom domain with the limited free plan.
- It has integrations available for some third-party tools and services.
- With paid plans, you can add 70 payment gateways.
- There are some integrations available but you can only use those which are currently available.
- Without Pro Shop plan you can’t add more products to your store.
Besides their limited free plan, they have three paid plans. Pro Website, Pro Shop, and BigCommerce and they will cost $10/month, $21/month, and $39/month respectively.
Finally, website builders are great for small businesses and beginners who are looking to get a professional option off the ground in a matter of days. You might get confused about which one to choose. After evaluating different website builders, we can say WordPress is the best website builder among all of them. There are hundreds of reasons to choose WordPress as your website builder. Just try out WordPress and you will see the difference. However, It completely depends on you which one you want to use.